Too often we underestimate the power of a touch, a smile, a kind word, a listening ear, an honest compliment, or the smallest act of caring, all of which have the potential to turn a life around.
- Leo Buscaglia


Saturday, March 9, 2013

Saving Lives

     What can almost all of us do to literally help save lives?  Hint:  It's easy, painless, free, and doesn't take much time.  That's right - we can give blood.  I'm embarrassed to say that for many years I never gave blood.  And not for any good reason at all.  I simply didn't do it.  Then our office started holding blood drives every 8 weeks and I figured I really had no excuse for not helping out.  Since then, I try to give a minimum of 5 or 6 times each year, and I always feel good when I do.
     Today was one of those opportunities.  A month or so ago a friend sent me an invitation to donate at a blood drive being held at her church.  It was about time for me to give, so I signed up to participate in today's event.  From what I'm told, my blood type, O negative, is the kind that can be used by anyone so it's in particular demand.  Given that our bodies replace the lost blood pretty quickly, it's hard to think of a reason not to help in this way, for the vast majority of people who are able to.  I was glad to do my part today, and look forward to doing it again in another 8 weeks.

No comments:

Post a Comment